Warming and nourishing for gut health
Purple Onion Soup
Want to feel all warm and nourished inside? Then one of the simplest and satisfying things you can make with some bone broth is this purple onion soup. Not only does your body get all the benefits from the bone broth, it also gives your gut microbes a good boost from the prebiotic fibre found in the onions.
What’s in it:
- 1½ large red/purple/spanish onions (250g), peeled and very finely sliced
- ½ fennel bulb, outer woody layer removed and finely sliced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 800 mls/ 27 fl oz beef bone broth
- Favourite hard cheese such as Manchego, Parmesan, Gruyere
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
How To Make:
Pop the onions, fennel and olive oil into a large saucepan with a lid on and cook slowly on a low heat, stirring occasionally.
Cook for about 20 minutes until the onions are really soft, then take the lid off and cook for longer to begin to caramelize the onions.
Add the beef broth and bring to the boil, then turn down the heat to very low. Gently simmer for about 10 minutes. Check the seasoning; add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve in large bowls, shaving the cheese over the top to melt.